Professor Doug Hilton
Division: Molecular Medicine
Our laboratory is interested in understanding the molecular regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation, with particular emphasis on the haematopoietic or blood cell forming system.
We currently have two major programs focused on:
- cytokines, their cell surface receptors and signal transduction pathways;
- uncovering pathways regulating haemopoiesis using a combination of forward and reverse mouse genetics, genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics.
In addition to our basic research, our laboratory is committed to developing clinical links and to applying our research through collaboration with the biopharmaceutical industry.
Professor Doug Hilton is also Director of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute.
- Cytokines receptors and signal transduction
- Limiting cytokine action: suppressors of cytokine signalling (SOCS) proteins
- The SOCS box; a link between generic and substrate-specific components of E3 ubiquitin ligases
- Mouse genetics
- Defining pathways
- Starr R, Willson TA, Viney EM, Murray LJ, Rayner JR, Jenkins BJ, Gonda TJ, Alexander WS, Metcalf D, Nicola NA, Hilton DJ. A family of cytokine-inducible inhibitors of signalling. Nature. 1997 Jun 26;387(6636):917-21 PMID: 9202125 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Alexander WS, Starr R, Fenner JE, Scott CL, Handman E, Sprigg NS, Corbin JE, Cornish AL, Darwiche R, Owczarek CM, Kay TW, Nicola NA, Hertzog PJ, Metcalf D, Hilton DJ. SOCS1 is a critical inhibitor of interferon gamma signaling and prevents the potentially fatal neonatal actions of this cytokine. Cell. 1999 Sep 3;98(5):597-608 PMID: 10490099 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Croker BA, Metcalf D, Robb L, Wei W, Mifsud S, DiRago L, Cluse LA, Sutherland KD, Hartley L, Williams E, Zhang JG, Hilton DJ, Nicola NA, Alexander WS, Roberts AW. SOCS3 is a critical physiological negative regulator of G-CSF signaling and emergency granulopoiesis. Immunity. 2004 Feb;20(2):153-65 PMID: 14975238 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Carpinelli MR, Hilton DJ, Metcalf D, Antonchuk JL, Hyland CD, Mifsud SL, Di Rago L, Hilton AA, Willson TA, Roberts AW, Ramsay RG, Nicola NA, Alexander WS. Suppressor screen in Mpl-/- mice: c-Myb mutation causes supraphysiological production of platelets in the absence of thrombopoietin signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Apr 27;101(17):6553-8 PMID: 15071178 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Majewski IJ, Blewitt ME, de Graaf CA, McManus EJ, Bahlo M, Hilton AA, Hyland CD, Smyth GK, Corbin JE, Metcalf D, Alexander WS, Hilton DJ. Polycomb repressive complex 2 (PRC2) restricts hematopoietic stem cell activity. PLoS Biol. 2008 Apr 15;6(4):e93 PMID: 18416604 [PubMed - in process]
Current Laboratory Members
Faculty Member: Doug Hilton, BBSc Mon BSc(Hons) Melb PhD Melb FAA FTSE
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow: Christine Biben, BSc(Hons) Paris VI PhD Paris VI
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow: Owen Prall, BMedSc(Hons) UTAS MB BS(Hons) UTAS PhD UNSW
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow: Toby Sargeant, BComp(Hons) BSc MComp Mon PhD Melb
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow: Tracy Willson, BSc(Hons) PhD Mon
Senior Research Scientist: Jian-Guo Zhang, BSc Xinjiang PhD Melb (Joint with Cancer & Haematology)
Postdoctoral Fellow: Clare Morgan, BA Curtin BSc(Hons) UWA PhD UWA
Computational Scientist: Jarny Choi, BSc(Hons) PhD Melb
Computational Scientist: Nick Seidenman
Research Assistant: Tracey Baldwin, BAppSc RMIT
Research Assistant: Bette Borobokas, BBiolSci Latrobe
Research Assistant: Kerry Ramsay, BSc(Hons) Murdoch
Scientific Coordinator/Alliance Manager: Fiona McGrath BAppSc(Hons) RMIT
Administration Officer: Etty Bonnici