Main Campus - Parkville
Parkville campus of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute: 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia. Phone:+61 3 9345 2555
How do I get to the Parkville campus?
1) Take a Tram
Trams run about every 6 to 8 minutes during office hours Monday to Friday. The trip from the city to the institute takes around 10 minutes, depending on traffic and time of the day.
• Take the number 19 tram (North Coburg) from Elizabeth Street in the city. Get off at the Melbourne University Stop (usually announced as "Melbourne University". This is the first stop after the main Royal Melbourne Hospital Stop on Grattan St). Then cross the road towards the hospital. Walk down the driveway between the Melbourne Private Hospital and University High School (the grass oval) - the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute is directly in front of you. Walk across the courtyard to reception.
• Take the number 59 Tram (Airport West) from Elizabeth Street in the city. Get off at the Royal Melbourne Hospital Stop. This is the first stop after the tram turns into Flemington Road (corner of Flemington Road and Grattan Street). Cross the road towards the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Navigationally, it is easiest to walk around the block until you reach Melbourne Private Hospital (see directions for the number 19 tram above).
• Take the number 55 tram that starts from the Domain Interchange in St Kilda Rd just south of the city. This tram travels through parts of South Melbourne, past the Casino and comes up though the city via William St and then Peel St and enters Flemington Rd. Get off the same stop as the route 59 above.
2) Take a Bus
• The route 402 bus starts from the terminus in the eastern end of the city opposite St. Vincent's Hospital in Victoria Parade and travels through Carlton along Grattan St past the University of Melbourne and Royal Melbourne Hospital, and continues on through North Melbourne to Footscray. Get off at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Grattan St. Navigationally, it is easiest to walk around the block until you reach Melbourne Private Hospital (see directions for the number 19 tram above).
• The route 401 bus runs from the North Melbourne station, the first stop after the station is the Royal Melbourne Hospital/Royal Women's Hospital. Get off at this stop on Grattan Street and turn left at Royal Parade, walk along the block until you research the Melbourne Private Hospital. Walk down the driveway between the Melbourne Private Hospital and University High School (the grass oval) - the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute is directly in front of you. Walk across the courtyard to reception.
3) Take a Taxi
The institute is about a 10 to 15 minute taxi trip from central Melbourne, and generally costs $12 to $14, depending on traffic and time of the day.
4) Take a Hike
From the city, the institute is about a 20 to 30 minute walk (around 1.7 km) up Elizabeth Street. Simply head up Elizabeth Street, then past the Haymarket roundabout (the one with the giant flag pole in the middle of it) and into Royal Parade. If you feel you're getting lost, follow the tram lines - see map above.
How do I get to the institute from Melbourne Tullamarine Airport?
1) Take a Taxi
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute is about a 30 minute taxi trip from Melbourne Airport, and generally costs around $50, depending on traffic and time of the day.
2) Take a Bus
Skybus provides an express service between Melbourne Airport (all terminals) to and from Southern Cross Railway Station in Spencer Street in the city of Melbourne every 10 to 15 minutes from about 6am until about 9.30pm daily, and at least hourly for the rest of the time - it is a 24 hour a day, seven days a week service. The trip to or from the airport takes around 20 minutes depending upon traffic. Fares are $16.00 per person one way, or $26.00 for a return trip. Children cost $6.00 and family concessions are available. Skybus provides a free mini-bus pick and delivery service to over 120 hotels and motels in the central area of Melbourne (including those close to institute) from their Southern Cross Railway Station terminus. Hotel pick-ups should be booked at least one-hour in advance and preferably the day before for departure. Telephone (+61) 3 9600 1711.
There are no tram or train services at Melbourne Airport.
Other Melbourne Transport Information
If you need more specific (or other) information other than that provided here, you can try the following links:
- Metlink - Links to Train, Tram and Bus timetables, services fares and other travel information for travel within Melbourne. The Metlink website includes a journey planner, providing you with detailed timetable and connection information if you enter the start and end points of your trip.
- Viclink - Timetables, services, fares and other travel information for travel in Regional Victoria (ie: Outside Melbourne)
- Melbourne Airport Flight Live Information (arrivals and departures)
- Connex Trains - Melbourne's train company
- Yarra Trams - Melbourne's tram company
- Skybus - runs services to/from the city and the Airport